Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Review: Now That It's You by Tawna Fenske

3 STARS FOR A GOOD ROM-COM & HAPPILY EVER AFTER!!
Now That It's YouTalented chef Meg Delaney hasn’t spoken to her cheating ex-fiancé, Matt Midland, for two years. Ditching him at the altar after blurting out “I can’t” instead of “I do” would sour any relationship. But now, just as Meg is finally ready to bury the hatchet, she learns closure is permanently off the menu. And the kicker? Matt’s brother, Kyle, is back in her life, stirring up feelings that are equal parts guilt and lust.
Meg was the best thing that never happened to Kyle. He couldn’t make a move on his brother’s girlfriend—even if Matt didn’t value her nearly enough. The situation is even more complicated now that Meg’s bestselling aphrodisiac cookbook has spawned a legal battle with the Midlands. Maybe he should stay away. But love, like family, plays by its own rules. And the one woman he shouldn’t want might be the only one who’s perfect for him.
Now That It's You by Tawna Fenske is like one of those good Rom-Com movies that you can always put on and rely on it to make you feel good. It's like "Just Friends" with Ryan Reynolds. (It's one of my sister's favorite movies, so I have been exposed to the movie more times than I would have probably expected.) You know that when you put on "Just Friends" that it will make you laugh, but ultimately it is about the heart-wrenching HEA. Everyone always has a HEA movie that they put on, just because they need that little bit of reassurance and pick-me-up. This book reminded me of just that. 
Now That It's You has all of the key ingredients of a good Rom-Com/HEA. First, boy and girl first meet when they were young, but due to circumstances they were unable to form a romantic relationship. *Cough* Friends Zone *Cough*
ryan reynolds
Meg first met Kyle when Meg dated Kyle's brother, Matt. Meg and Matt dated for a significant amount of time before they became engaged, but Meg left him at the alter due to his infidelity. Leaving Kyle at the alter caused Meg and Kyle to not see each other ever again until Meg decided to go visit Kyle and get some closure on their relationship. This leads to the next part of a good Rom-Com/HEA. The reunited moment.

james marsden katherine heigl 27 dresses romantic comedy
Meg and Kyle are both reintroduced into each other lives. It becomes new again. As if they are meeting each other for the first time, but not necessarily. There is a past between them, but now they can form a relationship that is not connected to their past. It can be based on the present. BUT......

Life happens and things get in their way, like every good Rom-Com. There has to be that little bit of conflict. And overall, I did like the conflict that Fenske provided. I definitely sided with Meg on some of the issues. I felt like Kyle was a little stupid, well in my opinion, in some of his decisions and some of the things that he said. Especially with some of the decisions that he made while Meg and Matt were still together. I like to think that it was because of Kyle's idiocy and inability to really commit to fighting for something that led to their "falling out". Yes, the good ol' falling out part of the Rom-Com movie where the director attempts to make you think that the couple is not going to be together, but YOU KNOW THAT THERE IS LIKE 20 MINUTES LEFT IN THE MOVIE!! THEY ARE SO GETTING BACK TOGETHER!
I will give Fenske credit with Meg and Kyle as a couple. I honestly really enjoyed them, because they were more mature about their relationship and feelings. They were actual adults.  The stupid moments with Kyle were genuine and believable in a way that a guy would be stupid. I didn't sit and scream at the book about how un-life-like it was. Many times, I read a Rom-Com book and will just roll my eyes at the characters, because it seems like they try to hard. The author just tries so hard to the make the characters or story like something that it comes across as just not believable. I'm just not convinced, but I didn't feel that way with Meg and Kyle. I think that my sister (a big Rom-Com fan) would enjoy this book. I would recommend it to her Dawson's Creek loving , Love Actually obsession, Just Friends loving heart. I think that it would be right up her alley. 


tom cruise renee zellweger cameron crowe cuba gooding jr jerry maguire
He's so cute! :D

Until the next review, which I'm hoping to start on right away. Like I said in my previous blog, I have some catching up to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment